Monday, June 23, 2008

Fun Filled Weekend

This last weekend was a pretty good time! On Friday night, we took it relatively easy and rented a movie. Pretty boring night but well needed! On Saturday, we woke up early and went scuba diving. This time the boyfriend didn't throw up. So that was a plus. We had gone scuba diving with a friend and her friend from Winnipeg that was down visiting. The first dive was called the Cathedral and was pretty nice. There were many massive rocks that towered above us and it kind of gave you the sense you were standing in or in front of a cathedral. Pretty cool dive. Saw a bunch of difference fish, whose names I do not know.

My friend's friend had a little upchuck after his first dive, but was a trooper and did his 2nd dive regardless. It was a good thing he did because you can't come to Bermuda, the shipwreck capital of the world, and not dive a shipwreck and the 2nd dive was a wreck dive. I cannot remember the name though but it was pretty nice. I wanted the dive to end the entire time though because my feet kept cramping up (I think I must've been dehydrated a bit) and I was in the process of developing massive blister from my too-loose flippers. I had such bad blisters that I had to wear flip flops to work the whole next week (the only shoes I have are all covered toed pointy shoes which hurt too much to put on!)

After we got back, we showered quickly and then met some friends and their visitors at the ferry and took the ferry to Dockyard. We ended up going to a pub named the Frog and Onion to watch the Russia and Netherlands game. Russia ended up winning in overtime. With Euro Cup, it seems as though you could get away with only watching the overtime and shootouts as no one seems to score in regular time! We drank a bunch of girly drinks at the pub and had a good time.

After that, we headed in and went to another friends house for a couple of drinks. The boyfriend ended up getting quite drunk and was being generally inappropriate to our friends guests that were down visiting from Halifax (i.e. he was asking them if they had sensitive nipples). Our naked friend was there and only got topless. We played some drinking games and sat around a talked. The boyfriend then headed into town (thank goodness though because he was quite drunk and I didn't feel like dealing with him at that point) and I went home.

The next day I headed to the beach alone (sans boyfriend because he was too hungover) and spent a day tanning. After the beach, I met up with some friends and went to the Bermuda and Trinidad & Tobago world cup qualifier game that was held at the National Stadium with the friends that I went to the pub with the previous day. It was extra fun because the guys that I went to the game with were avid Trinidadian supporters so I had to yell extra loud for Bermuda.

Bermuda is generally a shitty team because of the small size of the population here (60,000) and them making it to the World Cup would have been crazy as it would be like my hometown becoming a country and making it to the World Cup (actually my hometown is slightly more populated). Trinidad was in the last World Cup and is a pretty decent team and Bermuda ended up beating them, in Trinidad (2-0), when they had played the first round of the Qualifier match last weekend in Trinidad. The Trinidad Express had this lovely article in the newspaper after Bermuda's win in their homeland. I love how they maturely state that Bermuda is a "sub-standard bunch", referred to the players as "pudgy Bermudians" and called them a "poor quality team". Well those pudgy, sub-standard, poor quality players beat your ass.

The game was pretty fun. I would have been annoyed though if I had been one of the players because they played drums the entire time. At half time they had Gombey dancers which were pretty good. There were some really young ones that were wicked at dancing. They were probably only up to my knees. So cute! Bermuda ended up losing the game 2-0 (unfortunately) but they gave it a good go!

The Trinida Express had previously partially blamed the referee for Bermuda's win in Trinidad saying that "Bermuda were given a gift when Costa Rican referee Walter Marquesada allowed the game to continue despite T&T keeper Clayton Ince crashing into his defender Makan Hislop and going down injured". In a later article they poke fun at Bermuda blaming the referees for their win. The game I watched looked something like a major league game in Cowtown and not like the World Cup Qualifier I expected to see. The Trinidadian Soca Warriors are going to have a tough time making it past the next round as their caliber of play was lacking!

No comments: