Monday, January 14, 2008

First Weekend in Bermuda

Well this weekend was pretty busy! On Friday night we hit up the gym. By the way, my friends from Cowtown that bitch about Banker's Hall gym being expensive at $1000 per year, they aint got nothing on the gyms here! I had to pay $1700 for a 1 year pass at this gym! That is crazy talk! Since I am a nerdy accountant type, that works out to about $8.50 per visit to the gym (if I am able to make it 4 times a week - which is freakin' unlikely!) After that, we hauled it over to a work-mates home for some burgers.

The guy who's house we went to is quite a joker. He told us all sorts of stories that ranged from when he fell asleep without his pants on in the office and a partner found him to why he failed his Chartered Accountancy exam twice and his CFA exams 3 times. He's a pretty funny guy and his wife puts up with his chananigans quite well. We then headed out to a pub. We had a few drinks there and then my work-mate bought me a Crown and Ginger (one of my favorite drinks ever), which happens to cost practically an arm and a leg here in Bermuda, and some drunk Irish dude threw a blow-up doll at my drink and smashed my drink all over my legs. First of all, what was he doing with a blow-up doll and why the hell was he throwing it. I think I shed a tear for my Crown....because Crown is a mint in Bermuda. I have to switch to rum instead....as the stuff practically comes out of the taps here. It was pretty fun there, but the highlight of my night is when they played "Soulja Boy" and I did the Soulja Boy dance along with some of the locals. I have never seen so many people give me a "Holy Shit what a cracker" look at the same time. Oh well, they didn't even know how to do the dance properly......wannabes!

On Saturday night I went with some friends to the Just for Laughs comedy show. I love me some live comedy. Most of the comedians were friggin' hilarious. One of my favorites is when, in referring to Tyra Banks, one of the comedians says "When the fuck did we start letting models talk?"

On Sunday, as I have been looking for stuff to be involved in, I joined the Bermuda Ultimate Frisbee Federation. I have never played ultimate before but let me tell you, that shit is fun. I ended up getting so into it I was trash talking the other team by the end. I am definitely going to regularily attend! Also, me and my boyfriend finally found a place to live. A really small 1 bedroom apartment, for the bargain price of $2000 per month (trust me that is actually cheap here!) My boyfriend made the comment that we will be living like students for the next 2 years. I am like "why?" because we are chartered accountants now and are making a good amount of money. He's a major cheapskate but whatever I will hopefully be able to change him a bit!

So all I have to do now is pass my scooter test later today, and my life will be almost in order!

No comments: